When the car feels no different after a $650 service with new brakes and all that, you realize that it is hard to appreciate the invisible.


About two weeks ago, I decided that Facebook and I have to part. Now I didn’t want to give up my photography page (which requires an “admin account” connected to it, which has to be a personal account) so I’ve begun restricting myself to logging in only 2-3 times per week to see if there’s any comments and questions on the photography page – but otherwise, just leave it alone. Don’t read the Newsfeed, don’t “like” stuff, don’t pay attention to any of it.More

Red Flower, digital painting.


Just found these two digital artworks on my hard disk. I painted them with an iPad app called “Paper” a while ago. Fun. 🙂

Techno Bert?!

In betweem, something about music and “thanks algorithms” – yes, really (I hate Facebook’s algorithm). I was looking for a song from the early “technosound” days of German electronic music in the early 90ies, or something – Klangwerk’s “Die Kybernauten”…More


When I recently tried to calibrate my wife’s new laptop running Windows 10, I stumbled upon a major problem: we had displaced the software CD for her Spyder 3 Pro calibration device, and DataColor doesn’t provide drivers for their Spyder 3 Pro anymore.

I took this problem to Twitter first, and DataColor responded: claiming that the colorimeter is outdated, modern monitors are different, etc. etc. they told me to contact their support – who would tell me to buy a new device at a discount. In other words, it’s just another case of (infuriating) forced obsolescence, making users trash a piece of hardware that works perfectly fine because they lack the will and vision to charge for software updates. How hard can it be to adapt a Windows 8 driver to Windows 10?More

Yie Ar Kung Fu

In the past couple of days while making breakfast, I’ve often found myself humming the melody of the old, old C64 game music Yie Ar Kung Fu in the kitchen – and I had absolutely no clue how and why that melody got into my head.More

The mystery of the stripped HTML in WordPress

I’ve been struggling with a problem with WordPress on my main photography website for a while. The editor would strip certain HTML, fields like <input> for example. With an “administrator” user role, this shouldn’t happen! I needed this embedded form to let people subscribe to my blog posts via email (using FeedPress) – and I already had it in place, and it was working!

Only when I wanted to edit that form I noticed the problem: as soon as I hit “Update” in the editor, crucial parts of the HTML code would simply vanish. Interestingly, I did find some conversations online where people had the same problem – but none had a solution (hence this post). I temporarily worked my way around it with a plugin called “HTML snippets” (I consider this a “dangerous” plugin since it comes with it’s own editor, and this way circumvents WordPress’s editor security features entirely).

So I tried everything I could think of, and even went as far as manually re-installing WordPress via FTP. Nothing worked. Eventually, I remembered that I had tried a security plugin (SecuPress) months ago, but then uninstalled it.

Turns out that the plugin didn’t clean up after itself when I uninstalled it – and left some of its configuration changes to harden the site in place. There is a WordPress setting DISALLOW_UNFILTERED_HTML and SecuPress had set that to TRUE. This setting overrides all user roles and capabilities. No one is allowed to use “dangerous” HTML in the editor. Once I removed that line from wp_config.php everything was working again and I could edit and use my subscription form again.

Interestingly, when I re-installed SecuPress to see if there would be anything in there to explain my problem, SecuPress did not recognize its own configuration changes to wp_config.php and blocked access to these settings altogether with a message like “something else has done this already, we’re not touching it”. But it lead me to the solution.

The only question now is how I overlooked the settings block that SecuPress had added to wp_config.php when I looked at it first… 😛